Friday, November 28, 2008

Nov 28: Vinegar Making update

Almost 3 weeks since I've started my white vinegar making experiment using Pinot Grigio. [http://eat4fun.blogspot.com/2008/11/nov-09-experiment-making-vinegar.html]

Today, I added about 1/4C liquid (10% Vodka solution).
Surprised to see that the spider web mass has formed a layer on the surface of the liquid... in only 2 days. This is a good sign that the aceto-bacteria have colonized the wine mixture and thriving.

With positive signs that I am making vinegar, I was emboldened to give the liquid a taste (about 1/2 tsp). There is definitely a mild sour taste, not as strong as rice wine vinegar. No particular flavor or sweetness.

I stirred the mixture down... Not sure if I'm supposed to do that or not.
The image shows the cellulose layer containing the mother.

No comments: