Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Sep 09: Potato Skins

I had some leftover baked potatoes so I made potato skins.
Potato skins? Don't potatoes come naturally with skins?

Yes, that's true, but the potato skins I'm referring to are hollowed out potatoes filled with cheese, green onions and bacon bits. This is the pub dish where I found out that potato skins were edible. :-)

The great thing about this dish is that you can add what you like, but I like the basic filling.

Potato Skins
Baked Potatoes
Melted Butter
Grated Cheddar Cheese (About 1 T per half a tater)
Green Onion (1 chopped)
Bacon Bits (about 1/2 slice per half)
Garlic Powder - a pinch per half
Salt - a pinch per half
Pepper - a pinch per half
Optional - Chili Powder or Seasoned salt

1. Slice the potato in half so the wide end is the base. Scoop out in inside, leaving as much as you like. I left about 1/4".


2. Since my oven is out, I used the broiler. Coat both sides with butter. The butter will help with the browning and help the seasonings adhere too.


3. Sprinkle the inside with salt, pepper, garlic powder and a little Cajun seasoning. If your potato wasn't seasoned on the outside, go ahead and season the outside too.

Heat under the broiler about 6 minutes - 3 minutes per side. I had the pan about 6" away from the element.


4. In a bowl, combine the cheese, green onion and bacon bits. Top the heated potato with the mixture. Return to the broiler and heat until melted and as brown as you like.


5. Serve with Ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing.


If more people come over, just slice them in half... lol

Enjoy! I sure did.

No comments: