Sunday, May 23, 2010

May 23, 2010: Onion Apple Jam

Onions, for some reason unknown to me, have been very expensive at over $1 per pound. I'm used to seeing onions at half that price.
I thought I'd be smart and buy a large 5 lbf bag of onions. The problem with buying a large bag is that you need to go through a lot of onions before they rot out. I was at that point trying to decide what to do with a mass of onions... Something I've always wanted to try - Onion Jam.

Onion jam isn't really a canned product, but more of a slow cooked oniony, favory, bacony, sweetish condiment.
Here's my go at Onion-Apple Jam

Onion Apple Jam
5 Onions, sliced (about 6 cups)
2 slices Bacon, chopped
1 Apple, chopped (I had Pink Lady)
1/2 C Chicken Broth
1 T Apple Cider Vinegar
1 t Brown Sugar
Couple pinches of Thyme
Few Grinds of Black Pepper
Couple pinches of Salt

Directions:
1) Brown the chopped bacon - render the oil, remove bacon and reserve.


2) While the bacon is cooking, slice the onions... not too fine unless you want them to melt when they cook down.


3) Add the onions, a couple pinches of salt, thyme and a few grinds of black pepper.
Stir to mix. Cover, lower heat to slowly cook the onions.


4) When the onions are soft, taste... I wanted just a touch more sweetness so I added 1 t of brown sugar. Add the vinegar, stock and apples.
Increase heat to medium to futher browning and reducing.


5) The finished Onion-Apple Jam... Ready to be used.

Sweet onion flavor, with a little tartness from the apple cider vinegar, texture and sweetness from the apple with a hint of smokiness.



Possible usage - as a condiment served with pork chops.
Brings new meaning to "pork chops and apple sauce." :-)

1 comment:

Peter said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCKCgXgh55w