Thursday, February 5, 2009

Feb 05: Steamed Fish

Chinese New Years is winding down, but there are few more items that have symbolic meaning.

Fish symbolically represents abundance. Typically, a whole fish is served. However, fish is not just a new year food. It's an anytime kind of dish.

I chose to use a fillet and the cooking method - steaming.
IMHO steaming is a great way to cook fish without making the house smell strongly of fish. Based upon personal observation, fish seems to get fishy when overcooked or fried. Steaming seems to keep the fish hydrated so the odor is less pronounced. I don't know if that's 100% true. It's just based upon observation.

Steamed Fish
1 Fish, fillet or whole
A little salt, garlic powder, a couple drops of soy sauce....
Ginger... a few slices. According to mom, ginger is always added to fish.
A little green onion





For a steamer, I improvised a rack to fit my wok. When the water's boiling... place the dish on the rack. I used a Pyrex pie dish as my steaming dish.


Steam 10 minutes... Garnish with more soy sauce, cilantro and sliced green onions.


The final touch... heat 2 T of oil in a skillet. The oil should shimmer.
Slowly drizzle the oil over the fish.

I believe this step stems from the "old" country where the popular fish was carp which was low in fat. The oil adds a little richness and some additional flavor.

The final dish is light - not too fish, not too heavy, flavorful but not overpowering.


Wow! I turned around and it looked like I had a couple eager taste testers. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful fish dish! Especially love seeing the pups making an appearance on your blog! :)

Eat4Fun said...

Shawn... Thank you! The pups were just saying, "Hi! Don't forget to give us a taste too." :)