Sunday, February 15, 2009

Feb 15: Mardi Gras Season

Ten days before Fat Tuesday, the party is getting started. Parades, parties, debauchery... all in the name of getting "it" out of your system before Lent.

Some of the throws I collected during Mardis Gras, in years past. I had to do a lot of flashing for them... lol. No, just caught them during the parades.


I had the good fortune to live in New Orleans for a few years. Living in New Orleans was quite an exciting experience, a city with a long history stemming back to the early 1700's and earlier if you include the local native American tribes.

New Orleans is a city of many culinary influences - native American, French Acadians (Cajuns), Spanish, African, Caribbean, Italian, Cuban and now Vietnamese.

I remember cooking shows with Justin Wilson, Paul Prudomme and Emeril Lagasse with there emphasis on the trinity.

Pictured below is the "trinity" of local Cajun and Creole cookery - 2 parts Onion, 1 part Celery and 1 part bell pepper. Playing a supporting role are green onions, garlic and tomatoes.


Over the next few days, I hope to cooks some of the dishes I remember from my stay in New Orleans.

No comments: