Thursday, March 13, 2008

Pork Cutlets

I still had a chunk of uncooked pork loin in the refrigerator leftover from the Chile Verde recipe.

My desire was to make Pork Piccata. Pork piccata, similar to chicken piccata, is floured thinly sliced pork, fried and served in a lemon, butter, caper sauce. However, I didn't have any lemon nor capers. After work, I just wanted to go home and feed the pups so I bypassed the supermarket.

My alternative was Tonkatsu which is fried pork cutlets breaded with panko bread crumbs.
Well, when I looked through my pantry. I didn't have any panko. Where did they go? To the same place where lost socks go? I think I thrashed the panko last month since they were sitting in my pantry for over a year.

Other similar fried cutlet dishes -
Tonkatsu, Japanese
Weiner Schnitzel or Schnitzel, German
Milanesea, Portugal/Latin America

My alternative to my alternative - Simple Fried Pork Cutlets.

The fixins
Pork sliced thinly. Typically pounded to thin out the slice, but I didn't want to put that much effort into the dish.
Flour
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder



Mix the flour, 1/4 teaspoon (each) salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Coat the pork cutlets.


Pan fry in oil. I used an olive oil and butter mixture.
I estimate it was about 2 to 3 minutes each side.

Sauteed Vegetables were served as a side dish.


The final dish
Since the cutlets were thin and from the pork loin, I half expected the cutlets to be dry and stringy. Surprisingly, the cutlets were moist and very tender.

No comments: