Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Dec 02: Chicken Wing Salad

Chicken drumettes were on sale which got me thinking of fried wings or buffalo wings.
However, after feasting for Thanksgiving I was thinking of a "healthy" way to have the chicken.

Part of the fun with cooking is to try new recipes and making up stuff on the fly.

My inspiration is a spinach salad where I replaced the bacon with the chicken wings.

The drumettes (about 1 lb) were marinade with two cloves of crushed garlic, 3 T of soy sauce and 1 minced green onion.

The drumettes were fried at 370 F for 10 minutes. I probably could have cooked for about 7 to 8 minutes, but 10 minutes was a nice round number.

My idea as to fry the chicken, coat with a flavorful liquid and add the spinach so the ambient heat wilts the spinach.

The flavorful liquid...
2T Ponzu Sauce (since I didn't have lemon)
1 T Red Wine Vinegar
1T Olive oil
1 Garlic, crushed
1 Green Onion, minced
1/4 C Red Onion, thinly sliced

1. Toss the just fried chicken in the dressing. You can see the wisp of steam.


2. Add the salad greens and mix. Give it a minute to wilt the veggies. :-)


3. Plate and eat


The salad greens absorbed the ponzu dressing and the wings picked the extra flavor.
A flavorful way to eat deep fried food with less guilt... lol!

No comments: