Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Aug 19: Beet Greens and Pasta

When I was researching the Internet about growing beets, many websites commented that beet greens are edible and a good source of vitamins.

Now that I've harvested the beets, I kept the greens to see how they tasted.

Also, I've been craving pasta and had some chicken sausage that needed to be eaten.

Pasta with beet greens and sausage

The Fixins'
A bunch of beet greens
A package of Chicken Sausage
Salt
Pasta
Garlic
Red Pepper Flakes
Balsamic Vinegar

A big plate full of beet greens and a cube of frozen chopped garlic (courtesy of Trader Joe's). :-)


The sausage was fully cooked, but I still sauteed in olive oil and garlic.
After a minute, I added the beet greens and some salt to cook down (about 10 minutes).


Tossed in the pasta, drizzled in a little balsamic vinegar and mixed.
Garnished with red pepper flakes and Parmesan.


The beet green had a texture similar to kale - a little chewy, not as tender as spinach. The flavor was slightly sweet, but nothing really strong.

Overall, I enjoyed the dish and the pasta appeased my craving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Delicious! Tried it tonight w/chicken/mushroom sausage. I used a Trader Joe's sprouted wheat parpadalle - very good, the nutty flavor complimented the beet greens well. Topped with some grated parm, it was a wonderful meal.

Eat4Fun said...

I'm glad the meal worked out!
You obviously know how to cook since my "recipe" was a bit sparse.