Thursday, June 10, 2010

Jun 10, 2010: Pesto

Pesto is one of those sauce/condiments that I enjoy, but have not made.
It's a simple recipe with only five ingredients and I usually buy a large container of pesto (4 ounces) at TJ's, that half of it goes in the bin.

I researched online and found many proportions plus some recipes add other leafy greens to supplement the basil.

However, my goal was to keep the recipe simple.

Being a geeky engineering type, I wanted to keep the ratio simple too.
Since there were so many variations, I decided to use 2 as the number to remember.
For example, 2, 1/2 and 1/4 which is (1/2) of (1/2)

Basic Pesto
2 C Basil leaves (works out to the entire 4 ounce (including stems) container of basil)
2 Clove Garlic
1/2 C Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 C Pine Nuts, toasted
1/4 C Parmesan Cheese, Grated
Salt as needed.


Direction:
Place half the oil and everything else into the food processor.


2. Blend and slowly add the rest of the olive oil.


That's it!

No comments: