Sunday, September 21, 2008

Sep 21: Buttermilk Fried Chicken

I had another half raw chicken so I stuck with fried chicken.
The majority of the recipe is the same as yesterday, except the buttermilk soak.

2 cups buttermilk
1/3 to 1/2 C hot sauce
Season chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder.


Mix everthing in a bowl and soak overnight... I actually soaked 24 hours.


Drain the chicken pieces.


The breast was cut into strips and coated with a seasoned self-rising flour.


The Finished Results
The fried breast chunks... fried about 8 mintues total.
The top right pieces were fried first. The coating was rather light.
The bottom left pieces were double coated - dropped back into the buttermilk and another coating of flour


The dark meat - fried about 20-25 mintues total.


Overall, I enjoyed yesterdays batch better. This batch still had good flavor, but the buttermilk didn't add as much flavor as I thought it would and the coating turned out darker (due to the milk sugar?).

The breast pieces were drier than yesterday's batch. Yesterday's breast nuggets were still very moist. Also, I had to double dip the pieces to obtain a thicker coating.

I need to find the recipe that calls for buttermilk to see if I need to add more salt and seasonings to the mixture, thus creating a buttermilk brine.

As it stands right now, the simple recipe from yesterday turned out better chicken. This batch was good, but just seemed like it was more work and waiting - a 2 day recipe.

No comments: