Monday, September 22, 2008

Sep 22: Chicken Broth

Being frugal... I made stock with the chicken bones and bits from the chicken I cut up a few days ago.

Stock is easy and a nice substitute for water in most savory recipes.
There are many stock recipes on the web, but here's a simple stock recipe I've been using for years.

Chicken Stock
1 Carrot, coarse chop
1/2 Onion, coarse chop
2 stalks Celery
1 Bay Leaf
1 t Salt
10 C Water*
Chicken Bones and giblets (minus the chicken liver. The liver can be bitter.)



Add enough water to cover the bones... about 10 cups.
Add the the rest of the ingredients.


Over medium heat bring to a boil. Skim if you like.
Sometimes I skim and sometimes I don't.
This time I skimmed the foam as the water was coming to a boil
I think the harder you boil the bones the cloudier the stock... so I gently/barely simmer on medium-low for a few hours.


After the stock has simmered... cool and refrigerate.
The fat will solidify on the top which you can skim off.
Some people actually save the fat for cooking, such as, frying potatoes.


Strain the stock and toss all the solids out.
Now the stock is ready to use.


*Note: You can use 8 cups of water to make a richer stock. Depending upon your water to chicken bit ratio, the stock will actually gel in the refrigerator. The natural gelatin adds to the rich mouth-feel in soups.

No comments: