Tuesday, May 4, 2010

May 04, 2010: Tofu Tuesday Mango

Today's dish, Mango Pudding, is actually not tofu, but a gelatin dessert that looks like tofu.

In Cantonese, it's called "Mango Tofu Fa." Tofu fa (literally: Tofu flower) is usually made with silken tofu served in a light sugar syrup. However, I've heard this referred to as "mango fa" [mango flower], "mango tofu fa" and, according to wikipedia, "mango bo'ding' [phonetic Cantonese pronunciation of mango pudding].

The recipe is loosely based upon Dim Sum by Ellen Leong Blonder

Original Recipe
1/2 C water
2 Envelopes (2T) Unflavored Gelatin
1 1/4 C Sugar
2 Mangoes
1 C half & half
1 3/4 C boiling water

Why I did something different...
Well, I'm on this kick about making stuff with unflavored gelatin, like Panna Cotta, but worried that I'll end up with gummi bears instead of a delicate dessert. Of course, I decide to make mango pudding when mangoes are out of season where I could only find frozen mangoes.



Hmmm.... not much mango flavor here. It's the best I have at the moment.


My version is sort of a hybrid between mango pudding and panna cotta where I use a ratio of 3 cups of fluid for every 1 pack of gelatin.

1/2 C water
2 Envelopes (2T) Unflavored Gelatin
1 1/2 lbf Frozen Mangoes
2 C Heavy Cream [That's what I had in the refrigerator]
2 C Water
6 T Whole Milk Powder
3/4 C Sugar [or more to taste]

1. Bloom the gelatin in 1/2 C water.

2. Combine the mango, heavy cream, water and milk powder and blend into a smooth shake.


3. Strained the mango shake to get rid of any strings.


4. Over low heat, added 3/4 C of sugar. I generally add half the sugar in a recipe and add more as needed to taste.


5. Add the gelatin mixture and stir until dissolved.


6. Pour into a baking dish, cover with cling film and refrigerate overnight.
Cut into cubes before serving.


The mango pudding.

The mango flavor was rather mild. In fact, it tasted more like pear pudding than mango.


I should have just made a 3 cup batch with 1 envelope of gelatin. Also, talking with a coworker, he believes mango pudding is typically made with yellow Manila mangoes instead of the Tommy Atkins mango found in US supermarkets.

I'll have to try again when mangoes are in season. Also, I'll follow the recipe a lot closer. :-)

2 comments:

Arlene said...

The lady at the family association who makes mango pudding uses peach or orange Jello to heighten the flavor. That and five or six fresh mangoes.

Eat4Fun said...

Arlene,
Thanks for the tip. I was thinking about that - how do the restaurants get the mango pudding so brightly colored. The jello does the coloring and provides the gelatin needed to firm up the mango.