Sunday, May 16, 2010

May 16, 2010: Green Chorizo

I have roasted green chiles leftover from the Daring Cooks' challenge so I looked for a simple recipe.

Here's another simple recipe from Mexico - One Plate at a Time, hosted by Chef Rick Bayless

Green Chile Chorizo (Link: http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=236)
Chorizo Verde
Makes about 1 1/2 pounds (3 generous cups)

Ingredients

1 large fresh poblano chile [I had roasted]
1 or 2 fresh serrano chiles, stemmed and roughly chopped [I had 1 roasted serrano and 1 roasted jalapeno]
1 medium bunch of cilantro, tough lower stems cut off, the leafy part roughly chopped
1 1/2 pounds ground pork (you’ll need pork that’s a little fatty - 25 to 30% - and preferably coarsely ground) [I used country style ribs with the intent of using a food processor.]
3 tablespoons spinach powder (available on the internet) [I was debating whether I should make my own spinach powder by drying my own, but did not have the time... I left this ingredient out.]
2 teaspoons salt

Directions

1. Roast, skin and seed the peppers.


2. Mix and pulse in a food processor.


3. Hand mix to ensure complete mixing. Cover and refrigerate for several hours before frying.


Note: I should have pureed the chiles, cilantro and salt first to make a paste, before adding the meat. As you can see, there are still large leaves of cilantro in the final blend.

No comments: