Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Apr 1 - Reuben Sandwich

Leftover Corned Beef = Reuben Sandwich today

A Reuben is a grilled cheese sandwich that has been "deluxed" with sauerkraut, corned beef and Thousand Island dressing. I believe the original Reuben used Russian dressing which I tried to find.

The Fixins'

2 Slices Rye Bread, I used Dark Rye
1/4 C Sauerkraut
Sliced Corned Beef
Swiss Cheese
1 T Thousand Island Dressing (and 1 T French Dressing)
Soft butter

Since I was trying two different dressings, I sliced the bread in half.
Apply soft butter to the outside of the sandwich bread.
On the inner surface, apply the dressing.
Spread out the sauerkraut and layer in the corned beef.
Top with Swiss cheese.
Toast in a frying pan

The finished sandwich


Overall, the sandwich had a nice buttery exterior. The sauerkraut was tangy and crisp, but not overly sour.

Comparing the two dressings. The Thousand Island added a nice creaminess to the sandwich and what I'm used to. The French dressing was too weak to stand up against the sauerkraut. French dressing is a red ketchup-like dressing. The French dressing is not as sweet as ketchup and is slightly more vinegary. However, it didn't stand up to the sauerkraut. I was hoping the French dressing's vinegariness would cut through the fattiness of the grilled cheese, butter and corned beef. Are those real words?

I wonder if I should have supplemented the French dressing with a little horseradish?
I need to research the difference between Russian dressing and French dressing.

No comments: